Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Happy Birthday, "Oh, By The Way!"


A year ago, I had a dream during the night in which I started a blog called “Oh, By The Way.” When I woke up that morning, I went to the computer and promptly started a blog called “Oh, By The Way.” Seriously--it was the first thing I did that morning, and yes, I often act out in waking life things I have dreamt. The idea was to post things that I would normally tell or email my friends: “Oh, by the way, do you know of this artist/designer/model/singer/actor… or, have you seen this video/ heard this song/ seen this movie/ read this book/ seen this picture?” My only rule: I promised myself that I would not blog about anything overtly political, that I would not comment on current affairs (no matter how crazy or harmful the key players might be), that I would keep my blog in a positive space, not negative. Readers might spot an occasional veiled comment here and there, but it is always part of a larger posting about a film, a book, etc. I am dedicated to posting the fascinating, the beautiful, the interesting, the moving, the inspiring. And just like life, these things often have a bit of melancholy in them, which is what makes our time here so lovely and bittersweet and precious.

Anyhow, Happy Birthday “Oh, By The Way.” You are one year old and you consist of two hundred and sixty two posts, not counting these wishes.

No comments: