Thursday, June 16, 2011

BEAUTY: Art--David Edward Linn

David Edward Linn creates what look like devotional church panels steeped in eerie, empty, post-modern landscapes. These gorgeous surreal images based on the past speak to a totally modern idea of psychology and existentialism. It's interesting that he uses religious images as a springboard to speak about something that is genuine and far beyond just man-made religion.

Linn has this marvelous mission statement on his website:
“My work is born out of a need to articulate for myself the terrain of my own passage through mortality and to explore the events and implications of man's spiritual existence and journey- that which forms deep currents flowing beneath the observable world. The symbolic internal worlds and environments of my paintings seem at times more real to me than my physical environment because they are evidence to me of what is felt most acutely. The paintings then become objects of devotion- personal evidence of a process that is verbally inexpressible. My work has evolved into a meditation on themes of searching, passage, and purification through these internal wilderness places- a landscape where events and objects assume multi-layered symbolic significance and actions become ceremonial in nature."


Top to bottom: A Momentary Ascent; For A Thousand Years; Guide; Signal; Toward; Waiting

http://www.davidlinn.com/Home.html

No comments: